February 28, 2003 03:34pm
AIM's New Guidelines - Keeping the Industry Safer
Source: AIM Healthcare Foundation
by: Company Press Release
(SHERMAN OAKS, CA) -- After intensive negotiations with the Los Angeles Department of Health Services AIM has created a set of guidelines for the Adult Entertainment Industry based on what works for the industry (what you have asked for) and what is recommended by the County (based on their concerns). Effective Immediately AIM Healthcare Foundation is recommending the following guidelines for Producers, Directors and Talent. We are assuming that you are using condoms whenever and wherever possible. (Free and low cost condoms are available at AIM Healthcare Foundation.)
1) RECOMMENDED- Monthly certified counseling and HIV by PCR DNA Screening- a test should be no older than 30 days AIM turnaround time is 24 hours six days each week. It is important to wait for a negative result when on set. Do not shoot without a current test. We do find HIV monthly at this facility; we have been fortunate thus far that HIV has not spread thanks to the onset of the AIM screening process. THERE HAVE BEEN CLOSE CALLS. If a client is found HIV positive, AIM conducts confirmatory testing ASAP for verification by several other testing methods, clients are referred to non-profit affiliates and are medicated free of charge. Partners are also notified and put on quarantine until cleared by further testing protocols after appropriate window periods. HIV ELISA testing is NOT RECOMMENDED for this population due to its 6 month window period. ELISA TESTING PUTS THIS COMMUNITY AT GREAT RISK FOR INFECTION AND THE SPREAD OF THE VIRUS. THIS INCLUDES ANY TYPE OF RAPID TEST.
2) RECOMMENDED- Monthly certified counseling and screening for Chlamydia, Gonorrhea, and Syphilis THE COUNTY OF LA STD DEPARTMENT OFFERS THESE SCREENINGS FREE AT AT BOTH AIM LOCATIONS. These tests are done by urine and blood, the turn around time is 1 week. If positive AIM Dr's will call in meds to your pharmacy, get a list of (partners of the talent) and ANONYMOUSLY notify, pre medicate, and re test or test the partners free of charge. AIM also offers private STD testing with a turn-around time of 1-2 days for a 60 dollar donation.
3) OPTIONAL- Drug Testing is available upon request for a nominal donation,(about 10 dollars) upon sending your talent in we can witness and counsel for drugs and alcohol or we give your company the kits (urine litmus). If positive, return the urine specimen and AIM will also verify results by our lab for a 40 dollar fee with a 2 day turnaround. We recommend testing for hepatitis C if the specimen is positive for any injectable drugs (Meth, cocaine or opiates)to rule out any potential disease contact. We have certified drug and alcohol counselors available. We also have private counseling and weekly 12-step groups for Industry only at our Sherman Oaks facility. We also have the ability to do check ins at local detox facilities.
4) OPTIONAL/RECOMMENDED- Hepatitis testing and vaccinations for a and B are available upon request and can be provided in the same week as testing for the virus. It is strongly suggested that all new talent be tested for a, B, and Hep C.
5) Optional/Recommended Hepatitis C testing although it is not listed as and STD Hep C can be contracted with many activities in Porn. Suggested screenings are every 6 months.
The task of working with the authorities has not been an easy one, keeping, Cal OSHA, and regulatory measures out of the Industry was truly a task. So long as we can show the local health authorities that we are self regulating appropriately, under one roof, all records accessed we should be fine for now. I cannot stress the importance of what we say to the media, this investigation was a measure adopted by the County Board of Supervisors and was prompted by the recent LA Times article and the Prime Time program. I cannot guarantee drastic regulatory measures by the government in the future, however for now, let's stay united and healthy, that is the goal of us all. Remember AIM Healthcare is your community based organization and we have done the best we can to keep the heat off as AIM has become so highly regarded with the Local Department of Health Service-STD Department.
All AIM Healthcare Staff are certified counselors by the OFFICE OF AIDS POLICY AND PROGRAM and THE COUNTY STD DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH SERVICES. Our staff is required to test, attend and re certify on a yearly basis so we can provide the latest and best counseling and testing methods.
Please look for more information on our web site (AIM-Med.org) regarding health issues and guidelines. We have over 14 local testing sites, 40 nationwide and a program for your company whereby you can access results from our database for your records to insure talent safety, and eliminate liability. The AIM foundation is proud to be in our 5th year of service to the industry and the general public and an affiliate of the Los Angeles County Health Department. With your help we've come a long way and have proven excellence in service. Thank you for letting us be of service to you.
Sharon Mitchell CDS, Clinical Sexologist, Administrator and Executive Director, AIM Healthcare Foundation