November 16, 2000 11:04pm
Ontario Nixes ``Rape Me''
by: Tamsen Tillson
(TORONTO) -- Canadian filmgoers in Ontario will not be able to see the controversial French film ``Baise-Moi,'' which follows two women -- played by porn stars -- on a murderous sex-and-violence spree in France.
A ban was upheld earlier this week by the Ontario Film Review Board. All films must be submitted for classification by the panel before they can be distributed in the province.
``We have the power to censor,'' said the board's chairman, Bob Warren, ``though most of what we turn down is the adult sex product.
``The kind of stuff that's portrayed there, an explicit rape scene for example, that's certainly something we would not allow in the adult sex area either,'' said Warren.
``Baise-Moi'' was banned in France, then under appeal was approved for distribution in adult sex theaters.
The film was given a special restricted designation in British Columbia, but exhibitor Famous Players pulled it in Quebec after an enraged audience member stormed the projection room and damaged the print.
Montreal-based Remstar Distribution has the rights to release the film in the United States and Canada.