March 10, 2006 12:33am
Porn: East Coast vs West Coast
Source: Adult Industry News
by: Devyn Devine
East Coast Porn Verse West Coast Porn: Is There Even a Competition?
Hi all! Devyn Devine here with another column for your reading pleasure. I am going on 9 months in the industry, and I have been fortunate enough to travel all over the world for work. When I first started doing porn, I went to Miami and then to the NY/NJ area. I thought, "Man, these guys have their act together!" That is, until I came to Los Angeles...
I don't know how many of you know this, but Los Angeles has a bad reputation regarding the porn industry. I mean, producers outside of the LA area are telling girls that Los Angeles producers are cold, heartless bastards who are determined to make you do double anal with no lube. "Do you have limitations? Fuck your limitations, just get the job done." Armed with this knowledge, I was scared to venture to LA.
When I finally did come to LA, it was my bad luck to hook up with an agent who actually did promise me 1,200 plus the box cover for my first anal scene. And like an idiot, I considered it. Now, having a few box covers to my credit, I was glad I stood my ground and held my to boundaries.
Once I woke up and got rid of that "agent," porn suddenly became something more that sex with some man and a camcorder. Porn took on a whole new meaning -one that resembled girls in control of their own websites, affiliate programs, and great opportunities to travel and feature dance. Porn in Los Angeles resembled that of legitimate business practices instead of questionable practices that remained taboo. Still, I wasn't convinced that Los Angeles was the "It" place to work until after a recent trip back to the East Coast which opened my eyes - for I once was blind, but baby, now I see!
I have been making the trip down to LA from Seattle about once a month since September. In January though, I did head back to good ole' NYC for some work.
Day one. Its not like I had any legitimate work... I was going to do some shooting for a fetish guy. Unbeknownst to me at the time, he was going to take these weird, random mini-scenes, clips them up, and sells them on the website "Clips for Sale". It all started out pretty reasonable. I just give the cute guy a hand job. But then, that's when they get you. Now I had give the guy an abusive hand job. Now, that is really not my niche, so when the guy in charge explained to me what I had to do, I was a bit taken back. Basically, I was going to give this guy a hand job while he was strapped down to a table and I beat the hell out of him. The grand finale - I was going to make him drink his own cum (they called it a "cum-lunch") from a straw as it pooled in the middle of his stomach.
Next, we couldn't ignore how big a fetish "ass cleaning" is. I believe my line in this one (Ahem - hope you're listening AVN panel) was, "Boy my ass is ripe today. You're gonna lay there and lick my ass crack clean!" This was discovered when the good man forgot to buy toilet paper one day and his girlfriend says, "Hmmm, I think you got something here." Before you know it, a fetish was born.
One might think the madness would have ended there, and perhaps I should have ended it, but hey, I traveled all this way to get my ass cleaned so by golly, a licking he was going to do! The day continued on with some solo fetish stuff and some wrestling, and finally a ticking video or two.
When it was all over, I made one crucial decision that would forever remain with me... NO WAY am I shooting any more porn on the East Coast!
You see, this is just one example (of many) that I have regarding East Coast Porn. We could talk about the psycho in Jersey who wanted me to brush my teeth with cum (who some of you [girls in the biz] have worked for by the way!), and my other friends, otherwise known as the facial abuse idiots who, up until recently, used to proudly show me the set of "Human Toilet" before they dismantled that website in fear of government retaliation.
And then there was my personal favorite - the man who booked me to kick him in the balls for three hours... while his wife WATCHED AND FILMED. Oh, but they had to cancel - couldn't find a babysitter. That's one hell of a birth control method!
New York and New Jersey both sit on a coast that prides itself on being the driving force for fashion, music, and commerce worldwide, yet they can't get sex right! Not that there is a right or wrong way to have sex, but there is a right and wrong way to sell sex. East coast girls are some of the lowest paid in the entire country with regards to scenes, and producers are always shooting content that never seems to go anywhere. Yes, porn is shot worldwide, but it's not an accident that LA is the Mecca of the adult industry. So I say to girls on the East Coast trying to get into the industry - MOVE! You won't make any headlines blowing Mario in the back of his pizzeria. In fact, here are my top ten reasons anyone who is serious about the industry should get out of NY/NJ:
10. In NY, porn is about sex and sex alone while in LA, porn is a true business.
9. I had to do a shoot in the bottom of a Romantic Depot on a dirty mattress with the cashier from upstairs (it was only my second week in porn, please cut me some slack!) While I have yet to be on a porn set in LA that provides a Kraft Service Table, at the very least there is water and the mattresses are clean.
8. Chances are you'll end up sleeping on an air mattress on a floor in a "studio" with an Italian named Vinnie in the middle of a Jersey ghetto.
7. You need to have an interesting name to work on the East Coast, so unless your name is Kitty Shagwell, Paris LaFlousie, or Mrs. Robinson, you'll never be remembered.
6. In the tri-state area, Porn Star and Escort are synonymous - and they make about the same: $200-$300
5. Kicking the guy in the groin for three hours while his wife watched - enough said.
4. All the talent in LA is AIM Tested, while East Coast guys just ask WHERE to aim.
3. It takes 20 minutes to get to a shoot in LA when the original girl flakes out. In NY you need to take the 6 to the L, get off and jump a cab on the BQE.
2. In LA, you can have the lifestyle of a swinger and fuck all the beautiful people, instead of fucking your fat neighbor in a tiny apartment that smells like curry.
1. And the number one reason you should move to LA if you are serious about porn - PSK - Porn Star Karaoke! Where else can you go, get drunk, and sing "I Will Survive" in front of a bunch of people that have seen or will see you naked?
I will admit, I have taken the worst of the worst for my top ten. Truth is nothing is perfect anywhere, but there is such a distinct difference between the two coasts. I am spoiled by the professionalism of Los Angeles and while I will still travel to the East Coast, I probably will not shoot any more video there again. But I refuse to say never, as I do have some people I have promised to shoot with. It is just an interesting ride when you compare the two. So, girls, be forewarned when traveling to the East. Don't get me wrong, NY deserves props on so many levels - but porn is not one of them!
Send me your comments: Devyn @ AINews.com